| Sunday, 27 January 2008 20:08
A South Station Street resident was medflighted to Massachusetts
General Hospital Tuesday morning after suffering burns from a brush
A South Station Street resident was medflighted to Massachusetts General Hospital Tuesday morning after suffering burns from a brush fire.
Deputy Chief Wayne Sjostedt of the Duxbury Fire Department said that the man called the fire station at 11:11 a.m. to report that he had been burned by the fire, which he had obtained a permit for. The man has been identified as 50-year-old Mark Hallowell.
“The fire flared up and burned him in the upper body and face,” said Sjostedt.
A Jordan Hospital paramedic truck and one fire engine responded to the scene and Sjostedt said Hallowell was coherent and talking to emergency personnel when they arrived.
Because the man suffered burns to his face, extra precautions were taken and a medflight helicopter was called in.
“There is a formula that the paramedics use to determine [using the medflight copter] and since the fire had reached the face area, there is a concern of burning of the throat and lungs,” said Sjostedt. “When the criteria is met, that warrants a flight to Boston.”
The medflight helicopter landed at the Central Fire Station on Depot Street at 11:27 a.m., he said, and was airborne 13 minutes later.
Police and fire personnel blocked traffic on Heritage Lane so the helicopter could land safely at the fire station’s landing zone.
At press time, a spokesperson for Mass General said Hallowell was in fair condition, but could not comment on the seriousness of his burns.