- Written by Mary McKenzie
- Hits: 1472
The following is the fourth in a series examining the history and role of churches and houses of worship in Duxbury.
With over 10,000 members in its parish, Holy Family Parish is by far the largest faith community in Duxbury. But it wasn't so for most of the town's history.
Holy Family was born as a mission church in 1908, when priests from St. Peter's Parish came to Duxbury to serve the small Catholic population here. In 1934, when there were 200 parishioners in the winter and 1,000 during the summer months, a building was constructed at the corner of St. George and Cedar streets, which is now occupied by the Duxbury Art Association.